Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Marriage to Jim Clawson

By Emma C. Clawson
dictated 12/31/1976

This is about my marriage to Jim Clawson. Met him at a dance in 1918. Soon after I met him, he went in the service. He wrote and when he came back we started going out together. He worked out of town and when he came to Mpls again, that's when I made my mistake.

We were married in 1919 and Virginia was born in 1920. It was a mistake, as neither of us wanted marriage, but we had so much trouble, the end had to come.

I was working at Sears Roebuck, 12 hours at Christmas time, and Virginia had to go to Aunt Lena's, as I did not want her to be alone. Jim was in the work house; so one morning Charley (the House Detective for Sears) asked me what was troubling me. So I told him if I had the money, I would move. He said "if that's all you need, I will let you have it", which he did. So that was the second time a Charley was my benefactor.

We had lots of good times together. But, of course, that had to end also. I was sorry I did not know when he died ... until later, I was in Flint, Michigan at the time. But I hope he knows I think highly of him for the things he helped me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment