Monday, April 12, 2010

Moving From The Big House

By Lorraine Lundgren Stevens (my dad's twin sister)
Written February 1983

I remember moving from the "big house" on (Three) Island Lake to a smaller place and (sister) Dorothy cried because the big house was nicer. (She was already in Minneapolis working, but came home on vacation.) We had fun herding cows, picking berries and being outside. I was a Tom Boy - Lefty and I were together the most and I played ball with the boys, etc.

We did WORK, though. I remember canning, making pies and bread, etc., before I was 12. I barely remember Grandpa Polsfuss, but Grandma Polsfuss came to visit a few times. Mother went to her funeral at Princeton when I was about 12 or so, so I did all the cooking for the family and made about 12 pumpkin pies from scratch. Brother Joe at a whole one at one sitting and I was so proud! (They were good with rich cream and eggs and fresh pumpkin.)

No comments:

Post a Comment